The Seniors 50+ Club was established in 1993 and is an integral part of the community recreation complex that is leased from RBCSS. The club’s building is located beside the Tara Lynne Community Center. The building was once owned by the Historical Society and is now owned by the River Bourgeois Community Service Society.
The mandate of the Club is:
- Advise its members as to the needs and concerns of seniors in River Bourgeois.
- Provide a communication link between senior citizens group, community agencies, and government,for the purpose of sharing information, ideas and resources.
- Plan, develop, implement, and promote programs for seniors.
- Provide an advocacy role on behalf of seniors in River Bourgeois respecting their needs and concerns.
There are 146 members and it costs $10 a year for membership.
For more information on the club, please call Anne at
President (since 1996) – Anne Sampson
Treasurer – Sharon Chilvers
Secretary – Donna Babin
Vice Chairman – Carl Grimes
Membership – Monica McPhee
Property Maintenance – Joe Sampson
Events of the Club are:
- Cribbage games on Mondays at 7:00 pm
- Mini Bingo on the third Wednesday of the month at 1:30 pm
- Edna and Gerry Casey and Friends entertain everyone on the second Thursday of the month with music at 7:00 pm. From November to April.
- Valentine’s Day tea
- Christmas Pot Luck Dinner
Exercise gym is located in the basement and is available to any member.
Main floor can be rented for meetings, senior’s birthdays, and anniversaries. No alcohol is permitted.
In May, 2003 the River Bourgeois Seniors 50 + Club initiated the first Richmond County Expo at the Tara Lynne Center. It is a two-day event held yearly and it is strictly for the benefit of the seniors. The Seniors 50+ Club ran the Expo for 5 years. The Expo is now organized by the Municipality of Richmond. The seniors group also hold their major fundraisers such as concert, bingos etc. at the Tara Lynne Center.